The above copy, dated 1516 and attributed by some to Albrecht Dürer (1471-1528) documents the fact that the Shroud had been through a fire at a time and in circumstances unknown but certainly before the Chambéry fire of 1532 since it reproduces only the double mirror image series of little burn-holes visible in the Sacred Cloth today and shown in the photograph above. The above copy is located in the Chiesa di Saint Gommaire in Lier.

The Shroud is believed by many to be the actual burial cloth of Jesus of Nazareth. History of the Shroud describes this as an unbleached, herringbone weave, sepia color cloth 14 feet 3 inches long by 3 feet 7 inches wide.

Investigating the Shroud

In 1978, using over six tons of scientific equipment, teams of assigned experts began the laborious task of investigation. For five full days, 24 hours a day, each particular group, a total of 32 scientists, did their testing. 

Never before had the Shroud of Turin been subjected to such an exhaustive and minute examination by man. (We acknowledge information provided by the Albany Center Turin Shroud.)

It was wrapped in red silk in a silver chest in the Chapel of the Holy Shroud in the Renaissance Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, Turin, Italy up until the time of the fire which occurred April 11-12, 1997.  (This fire destroyed the Chapel designed by B. Quadri in 1667 and completed to the design of Guarino Guarini (1624-1683). The Chapel is now restored and the burial cloth is in a high security sarcophagus behind bulletproof glass and locked day and night.