About the Project
Imago Christi, A Shroud Interest Group, Inc., was organized with an art history perspective to "research, study, and disseminate information" concerning the relic known as the Shroud of Turin. Imago Christi exists "for artistic and educational purposes." It is a non-profit organization designed for public awareness about the Shroud by facilitating an interest in the humanities.
The project's primary purpose is for further study and research on the Shroud of Turin and its effect on art and humanities. The principal staff of Imago Christi, A Shroud Interest Group, Inc., consists of a Board of Directors guided by the rules and procedures of a non-profit organization 501(c)3. The center will be staffed by volunteers and open to public membership. Key consultants include directors and individuals from Shroud Centers established both nationally and internationally and from Sindonology scholars.
About the Shroud
Some believe this sacred piece of linen is the Shroud of Jesus Christ which has been traced from Jerusalem in 30 A.D. to Constantinople in 1204 only to disappear during the 4th Crusade. Ancient records state it was displayed in Lirey in 1353 when it was in the possession of Geoffrey de Charney. Somehow a piece of linen that bore "The Figure of the Lord" was reported seen years earlier by Robert de Clari, a Chronicler of the 4th Crusade in the city of Constantinople in 1203. He recorded that it disappeared when the Byzantine Capital was looted by the Crusaders.
The remarkable object known as the "Shroud of Turin" has been a historically recorded relic since 1353 when it was documented as being owned by the de Charney family in France. There are various stories and accounts that de Charney's granddaughter, Marguerite, owned the Shroud and in 1453 gave it to Duke Louis of Savoy. From 1453 the Shroud belonged to the House of Savoy until the death of the exiled King of Italy, Umberto II on March 18, 1983. In his will the king bequeathed the Shroud to the Vatican. Pope John Paul II, and requested that "this precious heritage to mankind," remain in Turin.